Summer is here, and with it come the inevitable heat waves. It is no secret that summers are getting hotter, and heat waves are getting more intense. As a home owner, it is important to take steps to protect your lawn from heat related damage.
For over a decade, John Bohonyi and his team have offered state of the art landscaping and garden design services in Trenton, New Jersey. Bohonyi landscaping offers a wide range of year-round landscaping services. As a landscaping professional, John shares his tips for lawn care during a heat wave:
- Keep the grass at three to four inches high. This will help your grass retain water and grow deeper roots, which helps in a drought. Taller grass will also help to protect the soil.
- Keep your mower blades sharp to prevent shredding the grass.
- Mow and water the grass early in the morning. Watering in the middle of the day will cause the water to evaporate before it can even be soaked up by the grass. Avoid watering in the evening though, because this could lead to disease.
- Avoid applying fertilizer to cool seasoned grass during a heat wave. Doing so could cause fertilizer burns.
- During extreme heat, avoid mowing the grass altogether. It is much better to wait until after rainfall.
- Consider an eco-friendly lawn alternative to grass. Not everyone wants to keep up with the maintenance of a huge grassy lawn. There are tons of drought-resistant, now-mow alternatives to grass if you want to go that route.