Summer is over and the air is getting crisp, which means it’s time to prepare your lawn and garden for winter and plan for the next year. Many people think that October is the time to take a back seat when it comes to your garden and lawn care, but it is quite the opposite. There is a lot you can and should do in your garden to make sure it flourishes again in the spring and doesn’t suffer damage during the winter months.
John Bohonyi and his team at Bohonyi Landscaping offer state-of-the-art garden design and landscaping services in Trenton, NJ. As an expert in lawn care and maintenance, John Bohonyi shares his tips for landscaping in October.
- Keep watering your garden and lawn until the first freeze. If the soil is dry, time to water.
- Fall is a great time to get a soil test done and fertilize your lawn and garden if needed.
- Spread mulch over any bare soil to protect it from damage in the winter.
- If you compost, be aware of plant matter that looks diseased or bug-infested and keep it away from your compost.
- Make sure to winterize any water features you may have and drain your sprinkler system before it freezes.
- Keep pulling out weeds – the more you weed now, the less of a nuisance they will be in the spring.
- October is a great time to plant spring-flowering bulbs such as daffodils and tulips.
- Now is the time to trim hedges if you have them.