November is here, which means the frigid, snowy winter months are right around the corner. Especially if you prefer the lush landscapes of summer or the colorful leaves of the fall, winter gardens can easily feel a bit lackluster. But that does not have to be the case! You too can create a winter wonderland in your own backyard.
No lawn is too big or small for the expert team at Bohonyi Landscaping. As the owner, John Bohonyi has a passion for landscaping and garden design. He shares 6 landscaping ideas for your yard this winter.
- Add some winter color to your garden. There are so many plants that keep some color all year round, including shrubs with berries, shrubs that have colorful bark, or winter perennials. The great thing about these plants is that the color will change from season to season and will stand out beautifully against the snow!
- Evergreens and ornamental grasses are great for adding form, structure, and interest to your wintertime landscape.
- Focus on hardscaping to make your garden stand out during the winter. With so many bare plants during this season, your hardscaping plays a crucial element in the feel of your outdoor space.
- Create focal points in your landscape by using decorative items that draw the eye.
- Consider using non-slip decking so that you can enjoy being out on your deck all year round!
- Use lighting to add drama to your landscape. You can still enjoy your landscape even as the nights become longer by adding some recessed lighting or uplights throughout the exterior of your home and lawn.